So we are in the mid-way of the IPL and as the WorldCup squad for India has been announced, let’s assess the players who have been selected for the WC.
The Top performers so far have been the 3 unlikeliest players to be selected for the WorldCup before the start of February, due to controversies and injuries but currently, have stormed into the Indian WC squad and have done exceptionally well for their respective franchises.
1. K.L Rahul: After so many controversies surrounding him and many people believing that he won’t make it into the Indian WC Squad has been in incredible form for his franchise scoring around 400 runs in the 10 matches he has played so far including a magnificent century as well. His form is one of the biggest pluses for India just before the WC. He has been confident of his skills, has played the role of an anchor for his team. It is a hugely positive sign for Team India with the Worldcup ahead with just one month left.
2.Hardik Pandya: Boy has he been in some incredible form of late, scoring a strike rate of 190 in the 10 Matches he has played for MI. He has consistently finished games for Mumbai with his late cameos. The only thing which has been a worry for Hardik is his bowling. His bowling form hasn’t been his best ever. He has gone for a lot of runs and hasn’t been able to take crucial wickets which he used to take for his team last year. Let’s just hope he comes back to same bowling rhythm that he had last year, as a lot would depend on this firey Baroda all-rounder in the WorldCup 2019.
3. Mohammad Shami: Last but not the least, after not being in contentions for the WorldCup since last year, he got a chance to play a few matches for India in ODIs and he cemented his place in the side with his incredible bowling skills in limited overs cricket. His IPL record till now also has been really good and has consistently picked wickets for his team. He is our asset to Team India and in seaming conditions like England, India will be heavily dependent on this Quicky.
1. Virat Kohli: Though not the most fluent Virat Kohli we know, but he has scored good runs in this year’s IPL. Indian Captain has found some touch in the last few games, where he even scored a scintillating century and won the game for his team against KKR in a must-win encounter. He lately has been in stupendous pressure due to his team’s poor performances and we should hope that he enters the WorldCup, high on self-confidence and aggression.
2. Shikhar Dhawan: He has won a few games for DC in this year’s IPL and we expect Shikhar to that more often. This has been a good IPL for him and we hope that he will step up to the big stage once the WorldCup 2019.
(BONUS FACT: Shikhar Dhawan was the leading run scorer in Champions Trophy 2013 and 2017 (held in England) and he was also India’s Leading run scorer in WorldCup 2015. So a lot will depend on Shikhar as we enter the WorldCup 2019. He just loves 50-Over ICC Tournaments.)
3.Yuzvendra Chahal: He has done really well like has been doing in previous IPL seasons as well. He has consistently taken wickets in the middle overs for RCB in crucial moments.
4. M.S.Dhoni: Ever since the Australia Series where he got the man of the series award he has been in scintillating form for team India and he has carried that form into the IPL for CSK as well scoring at the 137 which is a great sign for India. He has already scored 314 runs in 9 matches that he has played and we just should hope for the best from Dhoni.
I call these players okayish because they haven’t made a huge impact like they used to make or we expect them to make in the IPL in chances they have got.
1.Jasprit Bumrah: He has had a decent IPL 2019 so far but I would like to see the Best of Bumrah and I believe it is yet to come. He has taken wickets and has had a good economy rate but the standard that he has set for himself are so high that despite having a good season I feel its an okayish season for him.
2. Ravindra Jadeja: He has done well with the ball this season and has had a good economy rate in the middle overs for CSK. His batting hasn’t been upto the mark so far as he hasn’t been able to score those quickfire innings as a finisher which he is known for in limited overs cricket.
3.Bhuvneswar Kumar: After conceding a lot of runs in the first 3 matches of this season and not even picking a wicket, he has come back strongly in the last few matches for SRH and has picked wickets in the death overs. Being India’s premier fast bowler, his form is very critical for India’s chances in the WorldCup.
1.Vijay Shankar: He hasn’t lived up to the expectations that we all had from him and the skills he showed in ODIs for India. He has played too many trash shots and hasn’t shown maturity in the IPL level. Vijay Shankar is a vital cog in the mix for India in the WorldCup and is expected to be in playing 11 for India and bat at No.4 and has been picked ahead of Ambati Rayudu. He has to prove himself and show why he has been picked in the next few matches.
2.Dinesh Karthik: He also hasn’t shown what he is capable of in the few chances he has got except for one half-century. He hasn’t been able to finish games for KKR and we would hope that he finds his MOJO back.
3. Kuldeep Yadav: Probably the biggest worry for me out of all the players in the Indian WorldCup squad. He hasn’t been able to deceive the batsmen with his chinaman deliveries and that’s a huge worry. He is India’s biggest wicket-taking weapon and if he fails, India will surely fail.
4.Kedar Jadhav: He has not got a lot of opportunities but in those little opportunities he hasn’t made it count for CSK and has failed to convert the starts to into bigger match-winning innings.
5. Rohit Sharma: Unexpected but true. He hasn’t clicked for MI this season. He has got the starts but has not converted them into the big ones which is one of his biggest strengths. It’s not a huge worry I would say. He is a much more quality player in the ODI format for India and he will come back to his own soon. Just needs one innings to get back to his Mojo.